Hedgehog Awareness Week runs from 3rd – 9th May 2020 and hedgehoggy events are being organised all around the country!
Hedgehog Awareness Week is organised by the British Hedgehog Preservation Society (BHPS) and takes place every year. It aims to highlight the problems hedgehogs face and how you can help them. This year the BHPS is asking people to talk to their neighbours!
Try to make the whole street hedgehog friendly by talking to at least 5 other people in your area, ask them to join up habitat with CD Case sized Hedgehog Highways in the bottom of fences and walls.
Helping Hedgehogs: - Create a log pile - Build a Hedgehog Home - Move piles of rubbish to a new site before burning it - Check before mowing or strimming - Ensure netting is kept at a safe height - Check compost heaps - Stop or reduce the amount of pesticides and poisons - Cover drains or deep holes - Allow easy route out of ponds & pools
Links: - Donate to Hornbeam Wood Hedgehog Sanctuary https://www.paypal.me/hornbeamwood
- Visit our website at http://www.hwhs.org.uk
- BHPS (Hedgehog Awareness Week 2020) https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/hedgehog-awareness-week-2020-3rd-may-9th-may
- BHPS (Build a Hedgehog Home) plans at https://www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk/hedgehog-homes/
- PTES (How roads and traffic are affecting our hedgehogs, Lauren Moore) - https://ptes.org/ways-to-give-2/hedgehog-appeal-2020/
- Hedgehog Street (Hedgehog Highways) https://www.hedgehogstreet.org/help-hedgehogs/link-your-garden/