What To Feed British Hedgehogs
I've had quite a few people ask me what's the best food to feed hedgehogs especially as we head in to the colder seasons of the year. I've listed a few of the good and bad food for hedgehogs below which you might want to take a look though if you would like to help our hedgehogs out (which is a great thing to do!). Hedgehogs eat a variety of foods in the wild, you might also want to take a look at "What Do Hedgehogs Eat And Drink?" for more informoation on this.
- Provide fresh drinking water, this is really important whenever you place out food for the hogs.
- Any meat based cat or dog wet (jelly based) food.
- Special Hedgehog food (which we sell).
- Biscuits such as Purina One or similar kitten biscuits (chicken).
- Sunflower seeds (in small amounts).
- Nuts (Ideally crushed so they don't choke).
- Suet pellets with insects (we also sell these in our shop).
- Milk (this can kill baby hoglets!)
- No dog or cat food that has gravey in it.
- Fish flavoured food was generally not recommended however I've heard this might be OK for them now. But, to be safe as I''m not 100% sure, don't feed them this.
- Mealworms hold very little nutritional value for hedgehogs, but hedgehogs love them and are a snack which they will eat above anything else! Definetly never feed these to hedgehogs as a main food source. It's ok to sprinkle a few or mix in very small amount with other good food. Definitely don’t ever feed exclusively.